Welcome!

Welcome to Indy Foods. My name is RJ, I am a central Indiana resident who likes to eat good food at some of the great restaurants around here. So, at least once a month I like to try to hit the town and have a nice evening with my fiance. It doesn't always turn out the way I plan, but I'll be on here every time telling you how my experience went, hoping to give you an idea what to expect if you visit the same place. My goal here is not to rip these places apart, just give other diners a heads up before they decide where to spend there money. Some places are great, some are not so great, but I will break them down for you. I'm always interested in feedback, so please don't hesitate to tell me what's on your mind, or let me know where you would like me to try next.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Oaken Barrel, Great Apps, I'll pass on the Sheppards Pie next time.

My fiance and I live about a quarter mile from oaken barrel, but never tried it until just recently. We didn't try any of the beer this time, Maybe next time. The wait was long for a table, but that was understandable. Every time we go by that place it seems really busy. Once we were seated we ordered our appetizers, we got the home made chips with the bacon dip, which was delicious. We both thought the Sheppard pie looked good on the menu so we ordered one for each of us, big mistake.

One thing I can say about the Sheppard pie was that it was consistent for both of us, consistently bad. The rolls on the side seemed hard and stale as if they had been made another night, reheated and stuck on our dish. Trust me, I wish I could say that was the worst of it. Next to it was this mess of a "Sheppard's pie" in what looked like a coffee mug. Me and my fiance both went through the utterly unappetizing, soupy, greasy mess that was in front of us first noticing how unevenly cooked it was. It was like someone had plopped the meat, grease, veggies and broth in the mug and microwaved it. It gets worse, it even tasted like it had been microwaved. Piping hot on one end of the mug and surprisingly cold on the other end, and this was the case for both of our dishes. I have had food at gas stations that tasted better than that Sheppard pie. It was really disappointing because as I looked around everyone else seemed to be enjoying other menu items, but I noticed no one else had ordered the Sheppard pie, now I know why. It was also disappointing because it was one of the more expensive items on the menu. Neither of us finished our meals. We bagged up the chips and brought them home. Threw the Sheppard pie away; I didn't even feel right letting the geese outside eat it. All in all, I would probably go back to oaken barrel, assuming I can convince the Mrs. To come back, but I'm definitely not ordering that Sheppard pie again.

Oaken Barrel Brewing Company on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment